Saturday, March 7, 2009

What have we been doing?


December- Isaiah hurt his knee at school, falling onto a rock. So I get a call from the school nurse (I think she has me on speed dial), the nurse didn't know if he needed stitches. So I went to the school, and took a look. I didn't know how they'd stitch it all together and just figured, "He's going to have a scar". I took him home and kept it clean till it healed up. I've seen enough to get an idea now what is stitchable.

Christmas- Our first Christmas away from family (besides our first one in South Korea as a couple), it was quiet, slow and relaxed. We missed family but not the traveling and bustle we usually have. We also enjoyed a nice fire in the fireplace.

Valentine's Day- Jonah enjoyed and had good time in Kindergarten, Isaiah decided not to do cards (passed out kisses instead, Hershey's that is). I kept asking him about doing Valentine cards and he insisted that they weren't doing any (like his big brother Nicholas). Then I find out he wanted a box for Valentine's Day to put his stuff in. What?? I sent him to school with the chocolates because there was no time to fill out cards and I didn't even have any more. Silly. No box for him. Kirk said it was like a replay of Charlie Brown's Valentine Show.

Nicholas played basketball with YMCA in Jan and Feb, and is getting better, and is one of the tallest players.

I am still a Cub Scout Den leader (it's been one year now) and we had our Blue and Gold Banquet. Survived it. All went well. Everyone was well fed too. The boys did a little funny skit.

Lately....To buy or to rent that is the question. With these uncertain times it's not a simple task.

Layoffs and stress at Kirk's work. He's been reassigned to another team so some adjustments going on and is watching his former boss being "let go". It's sad and stressful altogether. So we continue to rent and enjoy the blessings we currently have.

Nice weather here...update....okay not anymore...this week is Spring Break. So the boys are home all week. We've had one excellent day, one good day, and a ton of rain and some sprinkles and more rain and some mist and major clouds. With forcasts of rain and more rain (which we do need but come on this week?) It would be nice to get out, to do something else besides shopping, which the boys hate of course. But we are here at home saving money by not vacationing or driving around much, and have been watching movies, playing Wii, cleaning house, eating, and cleaning up some more. Oh well, yes, fighting too.

So far no visits to the ER this week but Jonah did experience staples the other day instead of stitches. It was a Sunday not long ago. We came home from church and went to change out of our Sunday best clothes. Jonah decided to play on my elliptical machine upstairs and somehow fell off hitting his head. I heard the crying but was busy changing. And well crying doesn't necessarily get me that interested anymore. Okay so it was the blood that caught my attention. Why kids think they can wipe blood off their hands is beyond me. It wasn't a ton of blood but enough and he had a gash. It was decided he needed it stitched to lessen the scar (who knows if he'd be like Uncle Jake and be bald someday) and aid in healing so off to the Urgent Care we went. We had been before when Thomas slashed open his gums falling on the wood steps outside and exposing the tooth root (ewe, no stitches that time though). It was decided after sitting in the waiting room and sitting in the patient room that he'd have some staples put in. Three staples. Okay four but one was removed because the nurse didn't like how it went in. (Poor kid, I could tell taking it out at that point in time HURT) Anyway now that all is said and done, Jonah has a scar. I would say stitches would have been much better. The staples didn't really help put the skin together well. But since we weren't given an option and didn't know any better and I suppose the nurse person thought it wouldn't matter since his hair was covering it, and it was easier! Live and learn. I guess he will have a story to tell someday when he is older. Oh that scar there well let me tell ya... Oh and Kirk and I are wondering where we can get one of those kits ourselves. For the times when scaring isn't a big deal of course. Taking the staples out was a cinch with the handy staple remover gadget they gave us. Walgreens? He he.

No comments: